- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 Bratwurst sausages (Oktoberfest sausages for those of you in Canada with access to Scneiders products)
- 1 1 litre jar good quality sauerkraut(preferably something imported from East European country)
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- caraway seeds
- black pepper
- 6 crusty buns (if serving on a bun)
- Drizzle some olive oil in frying pan and add sausages and about a 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook on medium heat until water disappears and sausages begin to fry. Brown sausages on all sides. While sausage cooks; in seperate frying pan put 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the onion and shallots in. Use medium heat and just sweat them a bit. Add sauerkraut(liquid and all) once the onions and shallots are just starting to get tender. Add caraway seeds and black pepper to taste and cover and simmer until liquid disappears and kraut begins to fy. Stir to slightly brown most of the kraut.
- You can either serve the sausages on a bun with the sauerkraut as condiment or if you're like me and love sauerkraut have it as a side. If you prefer not to serve on buns a good Bavarian potato salad is good substitute for starch. I have even sliced up the sausages once they are fried and added to the sauerkraut and served as a casserole. Don't forget mustard for the Bratwurst and a nice cold stein of beer! Prost!
NotesConsidering today is the start of Oktoberfest here, I thought I would add something that would be appropriate.
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
L. Kayell presents: Cook with the WOW Characters of iN Education, Inc.See More
Roasted Potato Wedges
IRISH COFFEE PIESee More