BRATWURSTS ON TOASTED ROLLS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND CREAMY HORSERADISH SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 bratwursts
- 6 good quality hot dog buns, lightly toasted
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced unpeeled Granny Smith or other tart apple
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
To caramelize onions, heat butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When melted and hot, add onion slices and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Add sugar and cook until onions are deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes more. Remove onions from heat and set aside.
Creamy Horseradish Sauce; Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Grill brats (I prefer to slice them partially through). Place in toasted buns, spread with onions and then horseradish sauce.