- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/8 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- uncooked egg
- Scald 1/4 cup milk. Add 1/2 cup shortening.
- While this is cooling, mix 4 cups sifted flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Dissolve 1 package dry yeast into a 1/8 cup warm water. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt on top to activate yeast.
- Make a well in flour mixture. Beat slightly 4 eggs and pour onto well along with shortening and yeast mixtures. Mix together thoroughly.
- Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Put dough back in bowl and brush top with oil. Then cover with wax paper and towel and set in warm place till it doubles. This should take about 2 hours. Put if back down and knead slightly. Let it set for 5 minutes and heat oven to 350.
- On a cookie sheet, divide dough into 3 lemon-sized and 3 orange-sided pieces. Roll into ropes. Place an uncooked egg on the end of the short rope.
- Place long rope around egg. Braid. Cover with towels and let rise again. Mix an egg yolk with a bit of water and brush over doll. Bake about 45 minutes.