- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI discovered this recipe in Bon Appetit, November, 2003 and have been faithfully making it every Fall (and for Thanksgiving!) since.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups (packed) 3/4-inch cubes crustless country-style white bread (from one 1-pound loaf)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds or 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup diced dried apricots (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pistachios (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup giblet broth or low-salt chicken broth
- Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sautÃƒÂ© until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix in bread cubes, pomegranate seeds, apricots, pistachios, mint, lemon peel, salt, and pepper.
- Add broth and toss to blend.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature.)