- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 1/2 cups Bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 4 teaspoons Dough relaxer
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Yeast
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water warm
- 3 large Eggs
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Add the flour, dough relaxer and sugar to the bread machine and make a well in the center. To the side, away from the well, pour the salt then add the yeast to the well. In a large measuring cup, whisk the water, oil and eggs until blended then pour over the flour mixture. Pour the honey (more or less, according to taste) on top of the mixture.
- Set the machine on the dough cycle.
- When the cycle is done, remove the bread pan from the machine and place it upside down on a clean work surface to rest for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the dough, punch down and cut into 6 equal pieces and roll the pieces by hand into even strands. Braid three strands together and place on a large sheet pan (I use a Silpat to prevent sticking). Repeat with the remaining three strands and cover with greased plastic wrap. Place sheet pan somewhere where it can rise undisturbed (an unused cool oven or microwave oven) for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg with water to make an egg wash. Remove plastic wrap from dough and brush the loaves evenly with the egg wash, careful not to let it pool in the crevices of the braids. If desired, sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds or sparkling sugar. Bake for 30 minutes until loaves are golden brown.
- Let cool on sheet pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cool on a wire rack
NotesThis is a recipe that was born of several recipes and was tweaked for over 10 years... it is now a staple at our dinner table every Friday, and makes plenty for French Toast on Sunday morning too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Koken met OmaSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More