- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 loaf stale French bread, cut 2" pieces
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (or brown sugar for more flavor)
- 2 tablespoons of Amaretto
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 batch Amaretto Sauce, see recipe below
- 2 tablespoons VooDoo Dust (cinnamon & sugar)
- Amaretto Sauce:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- Bread Pudding: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Soak break in milk. Add sugar, vanilla, and raisins (soak raisins in Amaretto if desire). Add eggs. Mix lightly, pour into a well-buttered 9x13 baking dish. For an extra taste of New Orleans, sprinkle top of pudding with Cindy's Voo Doo Dust. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven. While hot, poke holes in pudding with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour hot Amaretto Sauce over bread pudding to penetrate the pudding as well as glaze the top.
- Amaretto Sauce:
- In small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add sugar, stirring constantly. Whisk in Amaretto and heat slowly for one or two minutes. Pour over Bread Pudding and serve.
NotesEvery year, my husband and I go to New Orleans for the Essence Music Festival. I always go to a cooking class to pick up more cajun/creole recipes. This one is really good. Our cooking instructor's version was POTENT but GOOD! She soaked the raisins in amaretto, soaked the bread in amaretto, put all the ingredients together and poured in more amaretto and then finished it up with the amaretto sauce. I received a buzz just from eating bread pudding!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More