- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 pounds medium cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, left whole
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 trays of ice cubes (approximately 24-30 ice cubes)
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Wash cucumbers thoroughly; drain; cut unpeeled cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber slices, onions, garlic and salt.
- Cover the cucumber slices with the ice cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Let this mixture stand for three hours.
- After three hours, drain off all liquid and remove and discard garlic.
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar; heat just to a boil.
- Add the cucumber and onion slices; simmer together for 10 minutes.
- Pack loosely in hot pint jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Remove all air bubbles.
- Adjust lids, process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Makes 7 pints.
NotesNot quite the season for canning but I make these every year. A friend requested the recipe so I thought why not share it with everyone?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
The Italian ExchangeSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More