- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 pounds medium cucumbers
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, left whole
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 trays of ice cubes (approximately 24-30 ice cubes)
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Wash cucumbers thoroughly; drain; cut unpeeled cucumbers into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber slices, onions, garlic and salt.
- Cover the cucumber slices with the ice cubes and mix thoroughly.
- Let this mixture stand for three hours.
- After three hours, drain off all liquid and remove and discard garlic.
- Combine sugar, spices and vinegar; heat just to a boil.
- Add the cucumber and onion slices; simmer together for 10 minutes.
- Pack loosely in hot pint jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Remove all air bubbles.
- Adjust lids, process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Makes 7 pints.
NotesNot quite the season for canning but I make these every year. A friend requested the recipe so I thought why not share it with everyone?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More