BREAKFAST / CASSEROLES
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking dish with a tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.
Add carrots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are fragrant and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, until asparagus is starting to become tender. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk eggs with garlic, cheese and bread crumbs. Whisk in salt, pepper and parsley. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables and stir to combine.
Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until firm.