- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- large baking dish
- 10-12 Eggo Homestyle, or homemade waffles cut into cubes
- 20 maple sausage links, diced and cooked
- 3T maple syrup (more if you like it sweeter)
- 12-15 eggs
- 1/4 c. whipping cream, or milk
- 1/4 stick of butter, melted
- dash of cinnamon
- cinnamon sugar to top
- Line baking dish with waffles and sausage, mixed together
- Beat all other ingredients together (except cinnamon sugar)
- Pour over waffles
- Sprinkle top with a good layer of cinnamon sugar (makes a nice crispy crust)
- Bake @ 350degrees for approx 45min, or until set.
- I have served it with whipped cream or, powdered sugar or, maple syrup on top!
NotesI subscribe to Cooks Illustrated Magazine...it is a little gem in my kitchen "tool box". It has several "spin off" magazines which I get samples of on occassion, but have never subscribed. I was flipping through one freebie one day and read a recipe for a breakfast casserole made with waffles instead of the usual bread or tortillas. I committed it to memory also because it asked for maple sausage which I had never tried. The next time I needed to make a casserole, I couldn't for the life of me (1) find the magazine or (2) find the recipe online! PHOOEY! I am not afraid to experiment with food, so I was going to make it anyway! I distinctly remember the author mentioning if you aren't going to use homemade waffles that the ONLY suggestion, for a substitute, he would make is Eggo HOMESTYLE Waffles. So, off to the store I went to get waffles, maple sausage (I use Jones All Natural...because they were on sale at the time and I have never had anything to compare them against), and eggs. I have "created" a breakfast masterpiece based on what I thought SHOULD go into the recipe since I didn't actually have it in front of me. I have made it several times, for several people and it is always a hit!
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More