- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. water
- 3 oz. crème fraîche
- 2 oz. shredded Gruyère cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 bacon slices, cooked until crisp
- 3 eggs
- 10 fresh chives, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch lengths
- Thaw the puff pastry dough according to the package instructions.
- Preheat an oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into a 10-by-8-inch rectangle. Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet. Using a paring knife, score a border 1/2 inch in from the edge of the pastry. Using a fork, prick the center of the pastry. Brush the border with the egg wash and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the crème fraîche and cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the crème fraîche mixture on the pastry, keeping the border clean. Lay the bacon on top, slightly overlapping the slices. Bake the tart for 14 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place it on a level heatproof surface. Using a fork, prick any large air pockets in the pastry. Crack the eggs onto the tart, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the tart to a platter, garnish with the chives and serve immediately.
NotesFrom the Easter 2009 Williams Sonoma catalog: Inspired by the hearty cuisine of Europe's alpine regions, our savory breakfast tart features nutty Gruyère cheese and smoky bacon. This combination is sure to satify appetites invigorated by cold winter weather.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More