- Cooking Time: 50
- Preparation Time:
- 5 med. apples, pared and cored (about 2 1/4 lbs.)
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked (9-inch) pie shell
- 1 recipe crumble topping
- Slice apples to make 5 cups. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix together sugar, flour, and lemon juice. Spoon into pastry shell. Sprinkle with crumble topping: 1/2 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp. ground ginger 1/4 tsp. ground mace
- Mix all together and cut in 4 tablespoons butter to make coarse crumbs.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Serve warm with cheese slices or ice cream.
NotesThis is a family recipe that has been passed down from my Grandmother. If you've got a pile of apples, but not enough time to bake a pie then this is the recipe for you. An apple crumble will take less time and ingredients to prepare than an apple pie, but it's just as delicious and comforting. Last year we served it at the Founder's Ball and everyone just raved about it. Now we get a request for this recipe weekly. My publisher wants me to include it in my next cookbook, but instead I've decided to share it here.. with BakeSpace.