- Cooking Time: 40
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 pound finely chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 large egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 4 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cool to room temperature on paper towels.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and milk in a saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in sour cream, rind, salt, yolks, and garlic; cook for 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly. Pour mixture into a large bowl, and stir in broccoli.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-third of egg whites into broccoli mixture; fold remaining egg whites into broccoli mixture. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart souffle dish coated with cooking spray. Place on middle rack of oven. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
NotesWhen Rex and I first got married, this was the first soufflé I learned to bake. The lemon would fill the house and instantly put Rex in a good mood. It's important to keep the home pleasant at all costs. I also use this trick on Orson.