- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryGayle's Bakery Cookbook (Santa Cruz, CA)
- 3/4 c (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 2 c sugar
- 3 lg eggs
- 2 1/2 c cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c mashed bananas (about 3 lg bananas, very ripe)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 c butter milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter, flour, and line two 9-in cake pans w/ parchment paper.
- Cream the butter in the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted w/ the flat beater. With the mixer running on med speed, gradually add the sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 min. With the mixer running on med speed, add the eggs one at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Sift together into a med bowl the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the bananas, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- With the mixer running on medium-low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and banana mixture in thirds, waiting until each addition is incorporated before adding the next.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Set the pans on a baking sheet and place on the center rack in the oven. Bake for 30-35 min, or until the cake springs back when gently pressed and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let cool completely in the pans on wire racks, then depan. This cake may be stored, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for 2 wks. Assemble as recipe directs.
- Makes one 9-in, 2-layer cake