Briget's Onion and Feta Cheese Tart by Bill Granger
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds 4 ounces onions, finely sliced
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
13-ounce packet puff pastry
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
5 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons oregano leaves
1. Place the olive oil and onions in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
2.Cook the mixture for another 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
4. Roll out the pastry to a 8-x-16-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Trim the edges with a sharp knife and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Score a 1/4 inch border around the edge of the pastry, taking care not to cut all the way through to the bottom. Prick the pastry with a fork and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese within the scored edges.
5. Place the onion on top of the pastry base, again with in the scored edges. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the feta cheese and oregano leaves.
6. Serve warm with a crispy salad.
Pairs Well With
Brown or yellow onions are best for cooking this tart as they have a stronger flavour than the sweeter red or white onions, which are better in salads.