- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 whole chicken, 3 ½ to 4 pounds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 TBLS butter
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In large stock pot, combine sugar and salt.
- Add 8 to 10 cups of water and stir until dissolved.
- Place chicken in pot. (If chicken isn’t submerged completely with water, add additional water just until the chicken is covered.)
- Cover pot and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- In large frying pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add lemon slices and cook, turning occasionally, until lemons begin to caramelize and turn light golden, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Using paper towels, dry chicken thoroughly.
- Using fingers, carefully separate the skin from the flesh of the chicken by running fingers over breast and thigh.
- Do not tear skin of chicken.
- Insert lemon slices underneath the skin of the chicken, placing them over the breast and thigh. Place rosemary inside the cavity of the chicken. Brush chicken with olive oil and season outside well with remaining salt and black pepper.
- Place chicken in oven and bake until it begins to take on color, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and continue to cook until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, or until meat thermometer registers 180 F, about one hour to one hour and twenty minutes more (depending on size of bird).
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More