- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb Blanched almonds
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tbl Orange blossom water*
- 2 tbl Melted butter
- 1 lb Fillo sheets, each 12x17 inches
- 1 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Honey, warmed
- 2 tbl Sesame seeds, toasted
- Prepare the Almond Filling:
- In a food processor, chop the almonds to a coarse consistency, then add the cinnamon, sugar, orange blossom water (can be found in Middle Eastern stores), and melted butter and process to combine the filling.
- To Shape the Triangles:
- Take several fillo sheets and divide them in half lengthwise and crosswise so that you have sheets that are 6 inches wide by 8- 1/2 inches long.
- Fold them lengthwise so that you have fillo strips 3 inches wide. This is the size that will be filled and folded into triangles.
- Take 1 heaping teaspoon of the filling and put it on the lower left hand side of the fillo. Fold it over to the right to make a triangle. Then fold it over to the left and to the right again until you have folded the entire sheet into a triangle.
- Seal the packages with beaten egg or a light mixture of flour and water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over moderate/low heat and brown the pastries for about 2 minutes.
- Plunge them into the honey and leave them for 10 minutes, turning them over once. Remove and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Set aside to cool and dry.