- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 1/2 c. fresh broccoli florets OR
- 1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen broccoli spears, sliced
- 1 med. (1/2 c.) carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded Gouda or Edam cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Saute garlic and onions in hot butter about 3 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Cook, stirring until slightly thickened and mixture boils.
- Stir in broccoli, carrot and nutmeg; cook 3 to 5 minutes until broccoli is tender-crisp. Stir in milk and cheese; reduce heat to low and cook until cheese is melted, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.