- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 35
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cubed whole-wheat country bread, (about 2 slices, crusts removed)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, diced (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack, or part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (6-cup capacity) with cooking spray. Add breadcrumbs, tilting to coat bottom and sides.
- Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add bread and stir to coat. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Steam broccoli until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Refresh under cold water and drain well. Chop coarsely.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and onion; cook, stirring often, until softened and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion mixture and broccoli to the egg mixture; stir in cheese. Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the pie until light golden and set, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.
NotesFantastic Sunday brunch option. I think this is a great way to get kids to eat broccoli too.. :) And it weighs in at only 209 calories per slice and serves 6.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Koken met Oma
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More