- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli cuts, thawed and patted dry
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored spray. Place in a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray; allow one end of dough to overhang edge of plate by 3-4 in. (Until ready to use, keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out.)
- Repeat with remaining phyllo, overlapping the sheets (staggering the points around the plate) and spritzing with butter-flavored spray between each layer.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, ham, cheese, onion, parsley, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; spoon into crust. Combine egg substitute and milk; pour over broccoli mixture. Fold edges of dough over filling toward center of pie plate. Spritz edges with butter-flavored spray.
- Cover edge of crust with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
NotesI have made this twice now. I only use about 8 sheets of phyllo for this. Don't worry if the phyllo tears, it will still look good on the final product. I like the look of browned shredded parmesan on top instead of the grated. Also, I can't really get this to set right..I think my broccoli is too watery. Also I am very impatient, may just need some more cooking time. But it still looks and tastes great. I also used turkey ham in this as well.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 piece equals 232 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 882 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
From Light and Tasty