- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into 2" pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tbls. margarine or butter
- 2 tbls. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Place broccoli & water in a 2-quart casserole, cover.
- Microwave at high (100%) until broccoli is fork tender, 8 to 10 mins. stirring after half the cooking time.
- Drain & set aside.
- Place mushrooms & margarine/butter in a 4 cup measuring cup or medium bowl.
- Microwave on high (100%) until margarine/butter is melted & the mushrooms are tender, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 mins. stirring once.
- Stir in flour, onion powder, salt & pepper. Blend in milk.
- Microwave at medium-high (70%) until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Pour sauce over broccoli, sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave at medium-high (70%) until heated & chees is melted, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Can substitute 1-10oz. pkg. frozen broccoli, microwave at high (100%) until fork tender 5 to 7 minutes.
NotesThis recipe is in the Sharp Microwave Cookbook that came with my first microwave in 1981. This was my most requested contribution to Christmas dinner at my sister's house.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Sharing Christmas with Friends
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More