- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cups shredded fat free sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white (reserve yolk for pie shell), lightly beaten
- Onions, raw (1 medium (2-1/2" dia))
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3-cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups regular or low-fat milk
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a sprayed pie pan with Pam. Keep oven on.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan fitted _with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil. Add broccoli; cover and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In medium skillet, heat Pam over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In small saucepan, whisk together milk and cornmeal. Bring to a very slow boil over medium heat, whisking often. When mixture starts to thicken, reduce heat to very low and cook, whisking constantly, until medium-thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese, half at a time. Cool briefly, then whisk in egg, egg white, mustard, basil and salt. Add sauted onion and mix well.
- Arrange broccoli in pie pan. Scrape cornmeal mixture over broccoli and smooth with spoon, wiggling spoon so mixture settles. Bake until quiche is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool at least 20 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm.4 servings
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking with Sabra
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More