- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 head of broccoli (using both florets and stalk)
- 1 large onion (preferably red)
- 2 Annaheim peppers or one good sized green bell pepper (neither are spicy)
- 1 medium tomato (I prefer a couple grape tomatoes because they're sweeter)
- about 16 oz/ 2 cups cheddar & monterey jack cheese
- one package 10 burrito size flour tortillas
- olive oil to suautee
- ground cinnamon
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- red pepper or chilli powder (depends on if you want it spicy)
- sour cream (easily substituted by plain yogurt)
- salsa or hot sauce of your choice
- guacamole (1 fresh avocado mashed or blended ina food processor with a bit of lemon to prevent browning)
- To start, prepare all the vegetables. I start by chopping broccoli into smaller than bite size (so they'll lay flat in the tortilla). Then I dice the onion, pepper and tomato. Set these aside and heat a frying pan with some olive oil. I carmelize the onions while I steam the broccoli for a minute or two in the microwave. After the broccoli steams, I add it to the onion and dash a little of each of the spices in. Then I add the peppers and tomato. Add more spice and oil as needed.
- I usually use the same pan as a griddle so that the flavor is on the tortilla, too. So that means set the vegetables aside. It can also go faster to just use a couple pan or a large griddle. I start by warming a tortilla in the pan, turning to prevent burning, when it's warm I then sprinkle cheese on half the surface and take spoonful of veggies and fold the tortilla, turning the quesadilla wwhen one side is golden brown.
- These are really tasty with a sweet salsa or hot sauce, especially to complement the cinnamon.
- See my other recipes for homeade side dihes and dips.
NotesI'm a vegetarian and this is one of the first recipes I learned, thanks to my fellow vegetarian Aunt Liz. This is a simple fresh recipe using broccoli as the main ingredient and many optional condiments. You could also So for all you Lacto-Ovo vegetarians...To make four big servings, I usually use this much of everything:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More