- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI like these for breakfast, perfect with some jam and some fruit salad. They also make good lunch rolls, served on a plate with a variety of cheeses and lunch meats.
- 1 lb. bread flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 package yeast (rapid rise)
- 1 1/2 c. (about) lukewarm milk
- 1/2 oz. butter or margarine
- grease for the pan
- 5 tbsp. milk mixed with 1/2 tsp. sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the flour and salt. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup milk and stir in some of the flour/salt mix to make a fluid batter.
- Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes.
- Dissolve the butter or margarine in the milk. Add the rest of the flour and milk.
- Knead the dough until it comes away easily from the side of the bowl. Flour the bowl and let the dough rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Form the dough into about 12 rolls and set them on a greased baking sheet. Let rise for about 10 minutes.
- With the back of a knife, make a long indentation in every roll. Brush with water and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- After removing from the oven, brush with the sweetened milk immediately.