- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces butter, cold, cut in pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl; cut in butter until the mixture is like coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 scant cup of crumbs and set aside. Combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth; stir into the remaining crumbs in bowl. Spread in prepared baking pan. If desired, add chopped pecans to reserved crumbs; sprinkle crumbs evenly over the batter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Jean’s Recipe File
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More