- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces butter, cold, cut in pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl; cut in butter until the mixture is like coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 scant cup of crumbs and set aside. Combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth; stir into the remaining crumbs in bowl. Spread in prepared baking pan. If desired, add chopped pecans to reserved crumbs; sprinkle crumbs evenly over the batter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.