- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces *
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt *
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- * I used salted butter and omitted the salt.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, and salt in a stand mixer bowl. Mix on low speed until the butter combines with the sugar but isn't perfectly smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and oats and mix on low speed, scraping the bowl frequently, until the dough has just about pulled together, about 3 minutes; don't overmix.
- Roll on a gently floured board, rolling the dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into bars, squares, or use cookie cutters to cut into shapes. Press the scraps together, roll them out, and cut out more cookies.
- Refrigerate the cookies on the cookie sheets about 20 minutes.
- Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 300 degrees F. Bake the cookies until golden on the bottom and edges and pale to golden on top, 30-60 minutes. After 15 minutes, swap the position of the baking sheets and rotate them 180 degrees for even baking. If the cookies are done before 30 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 275 degrees for the remaining batches. If they take longer than 1 hour, increase the temperature to 325 degrees.
NotesYum......can you smell the cookies that just came out of the oven? Hurry up and go to the kitchen before they are all gone!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More