- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 Cup butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Dough will be stiff, so mix in the last bit by hand.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Divide dough into two equal parts.
- Shape into 9x2x1 inch loaves.
- Place onto baking sheet 4 inches apart.
- Brush with mixture of water and yolk.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm.
- Cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1 inch slices.
- Return the slices to the baking sheet, placing them on their sides.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until dry.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- 30 Servings
NotesA chocolate version of an Italian favorite. You can substitute milk for the water in the egg wash, if you wish. I love this with my coffee.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More