- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA chocolate version of an Italian favorite. You can substitute milk for the water in the egg wash, if you wish. I love this with my coffee.
- 1/3 Cup butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 Cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended. Dough will be stiff, so mix in the last bit by hand.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Divide dough into two equal parts.
- Shape into 9x2x1 inch loaves.
- Place onto baking sheet 4 inches apart.
- Brush with mixture of water and yolk.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm.
- Cool on baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the loaves diagonally into 1 inch slices.
- Return the slices to the baking sheet, placing them on their sides.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until dry.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- 30 Servings
Castello Cheese: Unlock Your Inner Chef (Inspired by Burnt, the Film)
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More