- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI made this for our dessert to go with our Christmas dinner. It was really good and it came from the Pillsbury bake-off. If you cannot find the fudge toffee brownie mix you can substitute a traditional fudge brownie mix and add 1/4 c toffee bits when the recipe calls for you to add the brownie mix.
- 1 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c toffee bits (I used Heath)
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c butter or margarine, melted
- Chocolate Layer:
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp brewed coffee
- 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (19.5 oz) box fudge toffee brownie mix (see note above)
- 6 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 c slivered almonds
- Crust: Lightlyl butter bottom only of 10 inch spring form pan or spray with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 c toffee bits, brown sugar, and 1/4 c melted butter with fork until crumbs are coated. Press in bottom of pan.
- Chocolate Layer: In a 1 qt saucepan, heat butter and milk over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Stir in coffee and chocolate chips until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and reserve 1/4 of the chocolate mixture in a small microwaveable bowl; set aside for drizzle. With the remaining chocolate mixture, pour and carefully spread over crust. Freeze while you make the filling, appx 20 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- Filling: Heat oven to 325. In a large bowl, beat brownie mix (and toffee if you have to add it), 6 Tbsp butter and the water for 50 strokes with a large spoon (mixture will be very thick). In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed 1 to 2 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add eggs to brownie mixture, beat on low speed just until blended, about 30 seconds, and the batter will appear lumpy.
- Remove crust from freezer. Spread batter over chocolate layer. Sprinkle almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake 45- 60 minutes (mine took 43 minutes) or until center set and edges are firm (middle will be soft). DO NOT OVERBAKE, it should be like a fudgy brownie not like a cakey brownie. Cool on wire rack 2 hours.
- Run knife around side of pan; remove side. Microwave remaining chocolate drizzle mixture on high for 10-15 seconds; drizzle over torte. To serve at room temperature, cool 1 hour longer, or refrigerate until serving time if using later.