- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks - 6 oz.)
- 2 cups (14 oz.) sugar
- 1 cup (3 oz.) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 1/4 oz.) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 oz.) walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup (6 oz.) chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 oz.) sugar, superfine preferred
- 3 cups (9 oz.) shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 inch pan.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, or in a medium saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat ( or microwave) briefly, just until it's hot (110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies.
- Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth, then add the flour and nuts and chips, again stirring until smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the topping:
- In a large bowl, beat together the salt and egg whites until the mixture forms soft peaks. Add the vanilla and gradually sprinkle in the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the coconut.
- Dollop the topping onto the brownie batter; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here. Gently press down on the dollops of topping to spread them a bit.
- Bake the brownies 35 to 37 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a tiny amount of crumb clinging to it. The edges of the brownies should be set, but the center still soft. The topping should be light golden brown. Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool completely on a rack before cutting.
- Yield: 2 dozen 2 in. brownies
NotesContributor: King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More