- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryThere is no reason on earth why this, adapted from Nigela’s Domestic Goddess Cookbook, has to be a birthday cake. But since I always make my own birthday cake to share with friends, that’s how I think of it. And brownies are much quicker to make than any other cake. Cut them, pile them up high and spike with birthday candles.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g best dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 340g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Line 20x30cm pan or 25cm round Springform tin with baking paper.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a pan. Leave to cool a bit.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla for a minute with a whisk or electric mixer.
- Add cooled chocolate, than flour and salt. Very lightly mix together.
- Scrape out of the saucepan into the lined pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, no longer, otherwise you’ll get dry brownies.
- When it’s ready, the top should be dry, but the middle still dark and gooey (soft).
- Let it cool in a pan and then refrigerate, in order to cut them easily.