- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 30
- Ingredients for Raisins:
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup, dry red wine
- Ingredients for Brownies:
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely choppe
- Directions for Raisins:
- 1. At least 12 hours before making the brownies, combine the raisins and the red wine in a jar with a lid. Cover, gently shake and let the raisins soak overnight. To use, drain the raisins, but do not get rid of the wine. Taste it! You'll find a good use for it, such as a dessert sauce for poached fruit or a portlike cordial.
- Directions for Brownies:
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. To make removing the brownies easy, line the pan lengthwise and widthwise with two 7-by-12-inch sheets of parchment paper or aluminum foil, shiny side up, and use the overhang as handles.
- 2. Place the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl and set in a wide pan or skillet of hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes, stirring 4 to 5 times, and let it melt completely. Stir until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Set aside.
- 3. With a stand or hand mixer set on low speed, beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fully blended, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the vanilla until blended. Alternately blend the dry ingredients and the melted chocolate into the egg mixture in increments. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the raisins and walnuts. Stop when the ingredients are just blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Bake about 35 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it. Transfer to a wire rack and let the brownies cool completely, then lift from the pan using the overhanging parchment. Cut into squares