- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 c. milk
- 2. c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pint ripe blackberries
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- 2. Cream together butter and 3 tablespoons sugar. In a medium bowl, toss the berries and the remaining sugar. Add the eggs to the creamed butter and mix thoroughly.
- 3. Sifted flour the flour with the baking powder and salt, add half of this mixture to the butter and eggs, and blend.
- 4. Add the milk to the batter gradually, mixing constantly. When it is completely incorporated, mix in the rest of the flour.
- 5. Spread half the batter across the prepared pan. Place the berries in a single layer on top, then spread the remaining batter over them. Bake for 30 minutes. (I had to bake mine 45 minutes.)
- 6. Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven, rub a pat of unsalted butter across the top. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top. Use a torch to melt and caramelize the sugar, or place the cake under the broiler for a minute to do so. Serve hot and enjoy!
NotesI really liked this coffee cake because it wasn't very sweet. The crunchy bruleed topping added the right amount of sweetness. Also, since this cake calls for very little butter and sugar, I recommend creaming them by hand or with a hand held mixer.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking DC 2013
Christmas CookiesSee More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More