- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans good-quality plum tomatoes
- 200ml (7fl oz) gravy
- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) cooked meat from your roast dinner, shredded up
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.25kg (2 lb 12oz) boiled potatoes, swede and carrot
- 2 large knobs of butter
- A handful of cooked Savoy cabbage or Brussels sprouts, shredded
- A few small sprigs of rosemary, tossed in olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190*C, 375ºF, Gas 5.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the oil and cook gently for about 15 min or until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and gravy and gently simmer for 30 min before adding the shredded meat. Bring back to a gentle simmer, adding a little water if too dry, and season well.
- Mash the potatoes, swede, and carrot together with a knob of butter and season. Stir through the shredded cabbage or sprouts.
- Lay the meat mixture in the roaster (see above) and spread the mashed vegetables over the top. Dot the top with the remaining butter and push the little oiled sprigs of rosemary into the mash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until hot through, golden brown and crispy on top.
NotesThis recipe uses up all your leftovers from a roast dinner – if you have any that is!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More