- Cooking Time: 35–45
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryDid you know that legumes are low in fat? Food like peas and beans family are excellent sources of proteins, fiber and flavor. They are great to serve as a side dish.
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups bulghur
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb asparagus - trimmed and cut into ¾" pieces
- 1½ cup frozen peas, unthawed
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in bulghur.
- Add ½ cup stock and cook until absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup stock two more times, simmering after each addition and stirring often until liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in asparagus.
- Continue adding stock ½ cup at a time until bulghur is just tender and mixture is creamy, simmering after each addition and stirring often until stock is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add peas and cook 3 minute longer.
- Stir in ¾ cup Parmesan, cream, tarragon and remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Serve, passing additional grated Parmesan, if desired.