- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place almonds on a baking sheet and bake them for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the nuts have cooled to room temperature, place in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, and pulse the almonds until they are finely chopped.
- Sprinkle half of the nuts in an 8 inch by 10 inch (20 cm x 25 cm) rectangle on a buttered or oiled baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan combine the brown sugar, water and butter.
- Have the baking soda and vanilla extract ready. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil and cook, stirring as little as possible, until the mixture reaches 285 degrees F (140 degrees C) (soft-crack stage) on a candy thermometer. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat as the temperature will continue to rise to 290 degrees F (145 degrees C).
- Add the baking soda and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Immediately pour this mixture evenly over the nuts on your baking sheet.
- Then place the chopped chocolate over the hot toffee.
- After a few minutes the chocolate will be soft enough to spread with an offset spatula in an even layer over the toffee.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped almonds over the melted chocolate.
- Cool completely and then cut into desired shapes using a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 7 - 10 days.
- Makes one pound.
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More