- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place almonds on a baking sheet and bake them for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the nuts have cooled to room temperature, place in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, and pulse the almonds until they are finely chopped.
- Sprinkle half of the nuts in an 8 inch by 10 inch (20 cm x 25 cm) rectangle on a buttered or oiled baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- In a medium-sized, heavy saucepan combine the brown sugar, water and butter.
- Have the baking soda and vanilla extract ready. Bring the sugar mixture to a boil and cook, stirring as little as possible, until the mixture reaches 285 degrees F (140 degrees C) (soft-crack stage) on a candy thermometer. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat as the temperature will continue to rise to 290 degrees F (145 degrees C).
- Add the baking soda and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Immediately pour this mixture evenly over the nuts on your baking sheet.
- Then place the chopped chocolate over the hot toffee.
- After a few minutes the chocolate will be soft enough to spread with an offset spatula in an even layer over the toffee.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped almonds over the melted chocolate.
- Cool completely and then cut into desired shapes using a sharp knife.
- Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 7 - 10 days.
- Makes one pound.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More