- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 64
- Preparation Time: 30
- * 1 cup butter, at room temp
- * 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- * 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- * 2 cups flour
- * 1 egg white, beaten with
- * 1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
- * granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- * 1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- * 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
- Sift in the flour and mix to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
- Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with 1/4 of the filling.
- Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
- Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals;You can curve them into crescents if you like.
- Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
- Place on baking sheets lined with Reynolds Parchment Paper and brush with egg white glaze; Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.
- NOTE: # For 32 extra large butterhorns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling. Continue as above but bake for 15-20 minutes.
NotesOne of my favorite cookies of all time, these are fabulous warm from oven, but also keep well in an airtight container. My Hungarian/Austrian Grandmom called these "Butterhorns", an aunt on the other side called her version "Schnecken" and I have seen versions of this also under "Rugelach" or "Rugulach". It really doesn't matter what they are called, they're really awesome cookies!
Get Fit With Good Food!
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More