- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 64
- Preparation Time: 30
- * 1 cup butter, at room temp
- * 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
- * 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- * 2 cups flour
- * 1 egg white, beaten with
- * 1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
- * granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- * 1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- * 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- * 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
- Sift in the flour and mix to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
- Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with 1/4 of the filling.
- Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
- Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals;You can curve them into crescents if you like.
- Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
- Place on baking sheets lined with Reynolds Parchment Paper and brush with egg white glaze; Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.
- NOTE: # For 32 extra large butterhorns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling. Continue as above but bake for 15-20 minutes.
NotesOne of my favorite cookies of all time, these are fabulous warm from oven, but also keep well in an airtight container. My Hungarian/Austrian Grandmom called these "Butterhorns", an aunt on the other side called her version "Schnecken" and I have seen versions of this also under "Rugelach" or "Rugulach". It really doesn't matter what they are called, they're really awesome cookies!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Oreo Cookie Balls
Crispy Chicken Strips
Star Anise Spice CakeSee More