- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 1 ½ cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large tart baking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F.: spray a 10” Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add it to the butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating until the batter is smooth. Stir in the apple butter and the vanilla, and then fold in the diced apple.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a rack for at least ten minutes before removing from pan.
- For the glaze, combine the butter and the brown sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil for about a minute or until it thickens and then whisk in the cream and the powdered sugar. Add a few more drops of cream, if needed, for consistency. Drizzle warm glaze over cake.
NotesI was on the hunt for a good apple cake recipe to help me use up my abundace of apples. In the end, I decided to make up my own and this is the recipe I came up with. It may need a bit more tweaking on the flavors (perhaps some more sugar? a little almond extract?) but it wasn't bad....we certainly finished off quickly!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More