- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cold
- 2 ounces shortening
- 1/2 - 1 cup buttermilk
- *Optional - 1 ounce melted butter
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Sift flour onto a flexible plastic cutting board.
- Re-measure flour. There will be a little left over, which you should set aside.
- Sift flour again onto the flexible plastic cutting board.
- Add baking powder and salt to flour and stir to combine.
- Sift flour a third time into a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and shortening to bowl.
- Cut butter and shortening into flour using a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal (e.g. no large pieces of fat remain)
- Stir in enough buttermilk for the mixture to come together into a soft dough ball (dough will be sticky).
- Dump biscuit dough onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead dough by lightly pressing it out into a flat shape, folding it in half, and repeating three or four times, dusting the top of the dough with a little flour as needed, until dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll or press the dough into a 1/2" thick rectangle.
- Cut using a 2 1/2" round cutter (or use a straight-sided drinking glass) into biscuits.
- Reshape dough scraps and repeatrolling and cutting until all dough is used (you will need to habd shape the last biscuit).Bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are risen and golden brown.
- If desired, brush tops of hot biscuits with melted butter (optional).
NotesThis recipe evolved from the recipe my Mom taught me when I was a kid. Over the years I experimented with the amount of flour used, tried substituting butter for the shortening and eventually ended up with this recipe. I weigh the fat - it's just more accurate.
Cooking with Sabra
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage Holiday Hoagie
Butternut Squash Medley
coffee toffee cookiesSee More