- Cooking Time: total-30 minutes
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time: active-15 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, chilled
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well mixed. Add the shortening and toss to coat with the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips, and working quickly, cut or rub in the shortening until the mixture is the consistency of coarse meal.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the buttermilk all at once, then stir with a fork just until a soft dough forms that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees.
- Gather the dough into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead very gently 5 or 6 times just until the dough holds together. Gently pat or roll out the dough about 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick. Using a round biscuit cutter 2 or 2 1/2 inches (5 or 6 cm) in diameter, cut out as many rounds as possible, pressing straight down and lifting the cutter straight up without twisting. Place the dough rounds about 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Very gently knead the scraps together 2 or 3 times and cut as before. Do not reroll any additional scraps.
- Bake until evenly browned, 10-12 minutes. Serve hot from the oven.
NotesI love homemade biscuits ,I remember when I was in high school we use to take a class called home economics and Mrs.Preolla was our teacher and every new school year the first thing we would make was Buttermilk Biscuits and we would eat them with real butter ,oh how yummy. So I found this recipe and it brought back great memories,I have made these biscuits quite a few times .
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More