- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- 3 TB Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 TB Sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 TB Rapid Rise Yeast in 2 TB warm water
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Flour for kneading and rolling
- ½ cup butter (Room Temp)
- 1 box of C & H light brown sugar
- 2 TB Ground Cinnamon
- 1 TB Ground Mace
- 1 TB Ground Cardamom pods
- Mix Spices together and set aside.
- Scald the buttermilk and add butter, salt, and sugar.
- After buttermilk is cool add yeast and baking soda to buttermilk.
- Mix in flour and begin to knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Let rest for 10 minutes to 30 minutes
- Divide dough in 2 equal portions;
- Roll out half of the dough on a floured board to about an 8 x 10 rectangle smear with 1/4 cup (4tb) butter.
- Spread 8 oz of Light Brown sugar over the buttered dough.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, mace and cardamom.
- Rollup & slice into 8 slices
- Smear little bit of butter in bottom of a 9 inch pan and place slices in pan. Press down a little then cover.
- Repeat with other half of the dough.
- Let rolls rise for 1 hour
- Bake at 325 – 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn over onto plate immediately or they won’t come out of the pan.
NotesThis is an extremely versatile recipe passed down by my grandmother It just depends on how you fill the dough. My mother uses cinnamon and a combination of Dark adn Light brown sugar. Both my mother and I use the 4 tb of butter per dough round and 8 oz of brown sugar, but I use Dark brown and add Cardamom and Mace since I like more spices. The added weight of the butter & sugar produces a much heavier and gooey ‘sticky roll’ as opposed to my grandmother who uses only 2 tb of butter spread on each dough round and about 4 oz of light brown sugar sprinkled with a little cinnamon. This puts less strain on the dough allowing for a MUCH higher rise and thusly producing a lighter and fluffier cinnamon “roll”. She will also use cream cheese frosting on the finished product as well. Neither my mother nor myself use any frosting since our finished product is covered in carmel-y goodness already.
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Jesuit Tampa - Between Practice and Homework
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More