- Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter, margarine, or shortening (I used shortening)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk or sour milk (1 tsp. lemon juice of vinegar to one cup of regular milk...I used lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (I used cashews).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan (I used an non-stick spray for baking), and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and salt; cut in butter/margarine/shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside 1/2 cup.
- Stir baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining crumb mixture.
- In another bowl combine eggs and buttermilk; add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; combine reserved crumb mixture and nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
NotesThis recipe comes from 'The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 12th Edition'. One of my favorite things to bake are coffee cakes, and I was in the mood for one!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Sweet Potato Pizza Dough
Grilled Summer Veggie Pizza
Zesty Italian ChickenSee More