- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg (we did not use)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste
- Sugar, cinnamon sugar or icing sugar for coating
- Heat oil (2 to 3 inches) in dutch oven to 375F.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and baking soda in mixing bowl. Add oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls (do not make to large or they will not cook through) into hot oil. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides; drain on paper towels.
- Immediately after roll in sugar mixture of your choice
NotesThese little donuts are soooo good. They are like the little ones you get at the flea markets. We found this recipe at cdkitchen.com. For more Pictures go to: http://canadianbakertoo.blogspot.com/