BUTTERMILK SCONES WITH DRIED CHERRIES & ALMONDS
- Servings: 16
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces (12 tablespoons/1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup dried cherries, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 425F.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles small peas.
Stir the buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts together and add all at once to the mixture.
Stir with a fork until the dough becomes sticky and shaggy.
Stir in cherries and almonds.
Turn your dough out onto a generously floured work surface. Knead the dough about 10 times.
Divide the dough in half and pat each half into an 8-inch circle about 1/2-inch thick.
Sprinkle each circle with 1 tbsp sugar (if using) and press the sugar gently into the surface of the dough.
Using a sharp knife cut each circle into 8 wedges.
Repeat with other half. (Or you can just divide the dough into 16 round patties like I did.)
Bake the scones until light brown and slightly puffy, about 15 to 18 minutes.
Cool about 5-10 minutes before serving.