Buttermilk White Cake with Coconut
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
4 egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. vanilla
1 recipe Buttercream Frosting
2 cups coconut chips or flaked coconut
1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add buttermilk, shortening, and vanilla; beat on low until combined. Beat on medium 2 minutes more, scraping bowl. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes more. (Batter will appear curdled.)
3. Spread in pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched and wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
4. Prepare Buttercream Frosting. Place layer flat side down on plate; spread top with some of the frosting. Stack second layer flat side down; frost top and sides. Sprinkle coconut. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Makes 16 servings.
5. Buttercream Frosting: In 4-quart mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup softened butter on medium until smooth. Gradually beat in 3 cups powdered sugar to combine. Beat in 1/4 cup buttermilk or milk and 2 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in enough additional powdered sugar (3-1/4-3-3/4 cups) to make of spreading consistency.
6. *Sour Milk: Pour 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar in 1-cup glass measure; add milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cake