- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 recipe Pate Brisee
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash (processed until smooth)
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/4 tsp plain gelatin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Mace
- 1/8 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Clove
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs (Reserve 2 Whites)
- 2 TB Sugar
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream (this should yield about 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream)
- Roll out Pate Brisee for a 10-inch pie plate
- Blind bake the crust for 15 minutes at 400
- Cool to room temp, then refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, beat 2 egg yolk and 1 egg slightly.
- In another small bowl combine Honey, Gelatin, Spices and Salt;
- In the top of a double boiler (bain-marie) over medium heat, combine Squash and dark brown sugar; mix until blended;
- Add the honey mixture, when incorporated stir in the lightly beaten eggs
- Stirring constantly, cook over, but not in the simmering water until the mixture begins thickening or the temperature reaches 155 degrees;
- Remove from bath and pour into a clean bowl to stop the cooking process; cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a well chilled bowl whip heavy cream until stiff.
- In clean bowl, whip egg whites and 1 tsp of water just until soft peaks; begin sprinkling with the 2 TB sugar and continue whipping until stiff pearlescent peaks.
- Remove squash mixture from refrigerator, Break up the mass with a whisk (This will make folding a little easier.
- Fold whipped cream into the squash mixture, followed by the whipped egg whites;
- Fill the pie and refrigerate until fully set.
- Garnish with Bourbon'ed Whipped Cream
NotesAfter a few experiments, I think I got the right amount of gelatin in the filling. This is for those, who arent particularly fond of Pumpkin/Squash pie, due to it's heavyness.
If you would prefer to not risk any possible contamination from Salmonella, you can prepare this as a swiss meringue over simmering water until the whites hit 140 degrees. Increase the Sugar to 3 TB to stabilize the whites.
You can also skip the Pate Brisee and use a baked graham cracker or ginger snap crust.