- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (2.5-3 lbs.) butternut squash
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes (see note)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds and steam 30 minutes, or bake on foil, cut-side down, in 350 deg. oven until tender. (If baking, it will take approximately 40-45 minutes.) Scrape out pulp and mash or beat in mixer or processor until smooth. Add butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper; set aside. Slice apples very thinly. In skillet, melt shortening and add apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cover, simmering until barely tender. Spread in an 8 or 9" casserole and spoon squash mixture evenly over apples.
- TOPPING: Mix all ingredients and spread over squash and bake in 325 deg. oven for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- NOTES : Measure 3 cups of cornflake cereal and then put through a food processor to make coarsely chopped crumbs. If you already have a box of crushed cornflake crumbs on hand, then use about 2/3 cup.
NotesI make this every year for Thanksgiving and it always disappears in a flash. It's also a good way to get children to eat their squash!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More