- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 T Olive oil
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt, pepper
- 1/2 Cup water
- 3 Amaretti cookies, crumbled
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 Cups whole milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3/4 Cup (lightly-packed) basil leaves
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 1/2 Cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 Cup grated parmesean
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and whisk for one minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often; about 5 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer HALF of the sauce to a blender. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the remainder of sauce in the saucepan and stir to blend. Season this sauce with salt and pepper.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the sauce. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of the sauce over. Repeat layering 3 more times.
- Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesean cheese over the lasagna and continue baking, uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden; about 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is an outstanding recipe - please try it!