- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 1 9" pie
- Preparation Time:
- Makes 1 9″ pie
- For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup ice water
- For the filling:
- 1 butternut squash, I used a 3.5lb squash which gave about 2 cups of puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix together the flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender or food processor, add the butter to the flour mixture and process until crumbly. Add water little by little until the dough comes together. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour. Roll into 13″ circle and place in pie dish. Trim the sides, cover with plastic and return to fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400F/204C. Cut the squash into pieces and place in baking dish or sheet. Bake for about 30 to 45 mins, depending how big your pieces are. The squash is ready when you can easily prick a fork through the skin.
- Once the squash has cooled a bit, scoop out the insides into a food processor or you can mash by hand until smooth.
- Pour the squash into a cheese cloth-lined sieve and gently squeeze out the water.
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C. In a large bowl mix together the squash puree and the rest of the filling ingredients. Pour into prepared pie dish and bake for 15 mins, then reduce heat to 350F/180C and bake for 30 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out somewhat clean.
NotesI had a butternut squash sitting in my kitchen and I wasn't sure what to make with it - I had already made roast squash and butternut squash soup somewhat recently. Then I got a craving for pumpkin pie and thought, maybe butternut squash would make good pie. Verdict? Butternut squash makes a wonderful pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More