- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ large butternut squash
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large head green leaf lettuce, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- First, make the blueberry balsamic vinaigrette. (This step can be done several days ahead.) Put the dried blueberries and balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer about 30 minutes, until the vinegar is reduced by about a third and the blueberries are plump and rehydrated. Let the mixture cool a bit, then put it in a blender with 1 cup of olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Blend until very smooth. If working ahead, store in the refrigerator until you begin the rest of the steps below.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel the butternut squash with a vegetable peeler and cut the flesh into 1-inch chunks. Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Put the vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Roast in the oven until brown around the edges and very tender, 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to just warm.
- Make a bed of lettuce in a serving bowl or on a large serving platter. Mound the squash and onions in the middle. Sprinkle the blueberries and pumpkin seeds on top. Drizzle the entire salad generously with the blueberry balsamic vinaigrette in a zig-zag pattern. Serve immediately.
NotesRecipe by Erika Kerekes for the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
This is an amazingly delicious salad!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More