- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 cups
- Preparation Time:
- 4 butternut squash (about 8 pounds total), halved lengthwise, seeded
- 4 tablespoons cottonseed oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 cups (2- 1/2 quarts or more) cold vegetable broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chopped chives and parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Oil baking sheet. Place squash; cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes.
- Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add squash and broth. Raise heat to max and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon. Cool.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to pot.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. To serve, bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with a swirl of chopped chives or parsley.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More