BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH PARMESAN
- Servings: 10 cups
- 2 T butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 3-inch piece Parmesan rind
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, diced in 1 inch pieces
- 2 T grated Parmesan
- 3 fresh sage leaves, chopped (I like more in mine)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter and saute onion and celery 5 minutes.
Add broth, rind, bay leaves; bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
Add squash and simmer 20 minutes until tender.
Remove rind and bay leaves.
Puree in blender or with immersion blender.
Return to pot and stir in grated Parmesan, sage, salt, nutmeg, pepper and cayenne. Simmer 2 minutes to heat through.
Top bowls with parsley.